Saturday, July 28, 2007

Clouds

*this is not my photo (unfortunately)

"You must not blame me if I do talk to the clouds."
~Henry David Thoreau

This day...

I am grateful for non-threatening clouds.

You know. The wisped, whip-creamy, unsupposing types that take shape as rodents holding cars, and jellyfish and angelfish and fishfish, and elephants trumpeting short trunks, with hammers and aerial shots of snails...
...And a teddybear breakdancing atop a glass table. His pants billowing with the sheer pop-and-lock of it all.
And for the grande finale...a fat man in a snug, duckie innertube. Bobbing along (no doubt) through another glorious California afternoon. In search of the beach with the best sun or the stand that sells the chocolate-dipped, frozen bananas.

My sister and I hung on the sky for who-knows-how-long. Long enough for my bathing suit to dry in the sun. Not so long that I smelled mom start the barbeque for dinner. But the perfect amount of ticks... just enough to know a day spent passing with even a single cloud is a day of indefinable luxury.

No comments: